Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Sleep Deprived Christian


            I’ve just had to pull an all-nighter for a test I’ve been studying for and decided to write about what happens to me as a sleep deprived Christian. (My apologies if at any time I don’t make sense. Just bear with me.)

            First, if I even attempt to pray while sleep deprived, I’ll be dreaming long before I can even think about saying, “Amen.” It doesn’t matter if I’m standing, sitting, propped against the wall, standing on my head (okay, I can’t really do that, but you get my point), I’ll fall asleep while praying. It’s not surprising, considering I have my eyes closed already.

            I remember I was told once that if I fell asleep while praying, I’d be closer to God and therefore have no nightmares. I wonder if that’s true. Honestly, I can’t recall 100% if I’ve ever fallen asleep while praying and then had no nightmares, let alone if every time I’ve fallen asleep I’ve had no nightmares.

Maybe I should try an experiment…

            Anyways, second, if I try to read the Bible while sleep deprived, I hardly understand a thing I’m reading, if anything at all. It’s like my eyes are moving over the words, but they enter through my vision and get lost somewhere in my brain. They probably dissipate like smoke because they never reach my brain long enough, if at all, for real comprehension to occur.

Am I even making sense?

All right, third, once I start my day while I’m sleep deprived, it’s more difficult than ever to be a good Christian. I don’t mean necessarily sinning with something super big, but at least with being a nice, friendly, loving, non-judgmental Christian.

As a Christian, I’m supposed to be friendly and loving towards others, right? Well, when I’m sleep deprived, it’s a lot easier to tick me off, though I try not to be. The truth is, though, I turn into a monster. I don’t want to be anyone’s friend or love anyone. All I want to do is get through the day and get back to my bed. Then, if anyone bothers me, I get mad and think they’re doing it on purpose. Talk about judging…

I wonder if Jesus ever got sleep deprived. Even if He did, I’m sure He dealt with it a boatload better than I do.

Fourth…I can’t think of a fourth, so I guess this is where my list ends. I should probably have some profound way to end this. I guess I’ll just say that maybe if I must be a sleep deprived Christian, to go with the good old question, “What would Jesus do?” and try to act like I think Jesus would if He was sleep deprived.

Sure, let’s go with that.

Zzzzzzz…

No comments:

Post a Comment