Pages

Monday, March 24, 2014

Texting for God


Note: Some spoiler alerts on the new God’s Not Dead movie.

            I felt this need to write about what just happened to me after I watched the movie, God’s Not Dead, at the movie theatre last Friday. For those who haven’t seen the movie, I’ll try not to go too much into detail and just mention what’s important for this post.

At the end of the movie, there’s a scene at a concert where everyone’s encouraged to text every person on his or her contacts list, “God’s not dead.” The logic behind it was that if there were 1,000 people there and each person texted 100 people, than it’d be like telling Jesus we love Him 100,000 times. After the movie ends, the audience is prompted to join.

How could I say no?

Here’s the thing, though. It’s easier said than done. The moment I took out my phone and wrote those three words, it was difficult to picture myself sending it to everyone on my contacts list.

Sure, I could easily send it to my youth group friends, my Christian camp friends, my family members…but what about everyone else? What about my classmates, my other friends, my colleagues? What about everyone who wasn’t Christian?

The last thing I wanted to do was offend anyone. I pictured myself getting dozens of offended texts, somewhere along the lines of, “How dare you send that to me? You know I’m an atheist!”

I could also get offensive texts too, like, “Screw you and your Christianity!” or worse. I’d be the one offended then and there’d be no one to blame because I asked for it.

Suddenly, pressing send didn’t seem like a good idea.

Then I started thinking. I wasn’t saying anything offensive with my text. If the person didn’t agree, they didn’t agree. And if someone responded offensively to me, I didn’t need to take that personally. Besides, it wasn’t like I was doing this for any of them, or even for me.

I was texting for the one I was texting about: God.

Before I could talk myself out of it, I began to send the text. First, I sent it to all of the contacts under A. By then, the movie was over and everyone was exiting. When I got up, though, I noticed something wonderful.

Practically everyone, especially the teenagers, was texting.

Now, don’t judge me. It wasn’t that I was doing it just because everyone else was, but the fact that I wasn’t the only person, or even teenager, filled me with strength. For a brief moment, there was a room full of teenagers saying, “So what? I’m a Christian teenager and I’m going to text for God.”

So, I kept texting, moving down the alphabetical list. As I kept sending, I kept expecting the worst.

Here are the results:

Total people texted: 170
No responses: 78
Total responses: 92, and of those responses:
            35 responded with some sort of confusion
            26 agreed in some form
            20 asked, “Who is this?”
                        4 of these overlap with agreed
                                    6 referenced the song, “God’s Not Dead” by Newsboys
                                    4 referenced the movie, God’s Not Dead
                                    2 started a philosophical conversation
                                    2 gave completely unrelated responses
                                    1 responded offensively
           
            I’ll just say it. I was flabbergasted. Yes, flabbergasted. Why? Because of all of the responses I received, not one person responded offended and only one gave me an offensive response.

Honestly, it was such a pleasant surprise that it left me thinking why I was so scared to do it in the first place. Why couldn’t I just text for God? I talk, sing, dance, etc. for Him, but I hesitated on texting for Him. Why?

Maybe it was the randomness that threw me off. Maybe I wasn’t prepared for the possible responses. Maybe I just wasn’t as brave to tell the world about Him as I thought. Maybe it’s because of all of those reasons. Maybe not.

The truth is, I don’t have a complete answer for this question, but what I do know is maybe I’m not as afraid to text for Him anymore. This experience taught me that I could do something I’d never thought of, text for God. It’s just another way to reach others about Him, so why not go for it?

Seriously, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment