Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Hi, I’m Me, and You Are?


            There’s this funny thing that everyone, and I mean everyone, likes to do. Label. We put a label on everything. No one is innocent. We all like to label places, actions, objects, even people. We even label ourselves in this aimless attempt to come up with some form of a personal identity. Everyone asks the same question, “Who am I?” Everyone also wants a simple answer, as if one word could sum up all of the labels into one.

            I think I’ve found that word: Me.
           
            Don’t get me wrong. I still have to use labels to describe myself to other people. If they ask me what I want to be, I say, “writer” and if they ask me what I do, I say, “student.” If they ask me my age, I say, “teenager” and if they ask me my faith, I say, “Christian.” The truth is though, that not a single one of those responses makes up who I am entirely. Not one.

            Personally, I’ve always struggled with this whole identity business. For example, I’m Hispanic, but I’m also American. I always joke by saying that I’m too Hispanic for Americans and too American for Hispanics. I tried to pick which side I belonged to the most, but the truth is that I’m both, and I’ve had to come to terms with that.

Once I realized that neither label could stand alone to fulfill my identity, I began to think about how no label at all could describe me. It made me wonder about my identity. It made me ask myself, “Who am I?”
           
            Then, when the campus ministries at my school came together last week for a concert with the exact theme of “Who Am I?” I thought about this even more. The topic was about having an identity in Christ as God’s children. It got me thinking and I think I’ve come up with a conclusion I can accept.

God loves me for who I am, not for what society tells me to be or says I am, not even for what I say I am. No matter what, I’m His, and I’m not His as a Hispanic or as an American. I’m not His as a writer or as a student. I’m not His as a teenager or even as a Christian. I’m just His as me.
           
            Now, “me” is made up of a numerous amount of labels, given to me by others, as well as myself. Separately, not a single one can even come close to describing who I truly am, but together they come just a little bit closer. The truth is though, when it comes to my identity, the only word that can faithfully sum up all of who I am is, “me.”

            I’m “me” and if that’s good enough for God, well, then that’s just good enough for me too.

5 comments:

  1. Great post! Thank you for sharing it! I'll stay tuned for more! - Mandy
    mandyjazzymay.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops i forgot the s on girls..lol It is goldgodsgirls.blogspot.com
      and email is goldgodsgirls@gmail.com :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Kelly! I'll shoot you an email soon :) God bless!

      Delete