Pages

Thursday, February 13, 2014

A Valentine’s Day Post: Knowing about Love

Like the famous song by Foreigner, I think that we all, at least at some point in our lives, want to know what love is. I know I’ve always personally wanted to know. Yet, if I ask fifty different people what love is, I’ll get fifty different answers. A young girl in her first relationship might tell me that love is amazing while a heartbroken guy might tell me the opposite. A mother might tell me that love is family while a single woman might tell me love is friendship. There are even people who say love doesn’t exist at all.

            I don’t agree with any of them.

            If I had to give one word to describe love, it would this: God.

I don’t think it’s possible for anyone to love as much as God does. He loves me, even when I don’t love myself. He loves that annoying kid I never liked. He loves that teacher I never got along with in high school. He loves that random guy I bumped into today. He loves my ex-boyfriends. He loves my friends. He loves my family. He loves everyone I have never loved, everyone I have once loved, everyone I currently love, and everyone I will ever love.

I wish I could love like that.

Sometimes I find myself thinking that love is a paradox. Love is complicated and simple. Love is easy and difficult. Love is happy and sad. Love is good and bad. I believe that God breaks that paradox, though. For God, love is simple, easy, happy, and good. I can’t speak for anyone else, but that’s how I want to see love as too. I want to love just like God does.

I think that to love is to feel God. There’s this connection between loving God and loving others. When I love my parents, my siblings, my friends, I feel what it is that God feels for me. That affection, protectiveness, worry, care, and happiness I feel for them is what God feels towards everyone. On the flip side, though, when it comes to loving others, there are times I find it difficult to. For example, if a friend makes me angry, I find it difficult to love them when I feel like the Hulk. But then I think about how God loves me no matter what, even if I’ve done something to make Him angry, and that helps me to love again. I learn to love God through my love for others and learn to love others through God’s love.

            To me, God simply is love and, personally, I don’t think that there could be any greater valentine than that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment