Pages

Friday, March 14, 2014

Wait for It...(Youth Group Sermon)


Note: It was my turn to speak this week at my youth group so I decided to adapt it for a blog post and hit two birds with one stone. (I apologize in advance for the length!)

Introduction
           
            How many of you think you are patient? Personally, I thought I used to be patient until I got into a long distance relationship.

Now that tests my patience.

First, I’m impatient with the distance itself and the problems it brings. I have to wait to talk to my boyfriend, wait to see him, wait to finally close the distance, etc. I mean, every time I see a happy couple I get impatient to be like that. When will it be my turn? It seems like I’m always waiting.

Second, I’m impatient with God for putting me in the situation in the first place. I question, is there a reason for this? Does He have a plan for us to close the distance someday? I’m just always thinking, “When will this distance finally end??”

That’s how impatient I’ve become.

It’s helped me notice something, though, and that’s how important patience is in general. Whether it’s with every day situations, like waiting in line, or with long term plans, like finishing school. Patience is important for absolutely everything.

As I’ve thought about this topic, I’ve come up with three types of patience: patience of God, patience with God, and patience with others.

Why don’t we start with the patience of God?

Patience of God

9The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” – 2 Peter 3:9 NIV

            I liked this verse because it talks about how patient God is with everyone, wanting everyone to repent in the end.

Have you ever thought about how extremely patient God is with you? With all of us? Look at what this verse is telling us. He waits for each and every one of us to repent and come to Him.

How long does that take? Sometimes, it can mean immediately after doing something wrong. Sometimes, it can mean weeks, months, or years later. For some of us, it could even mean our entire lives.

Think about that. God waits our entire lives for us to come to Him. That’s how patient He is with us. Can you imagine having that level of patience? I’m too impatient when I order pizza!

That’s what’s so great about God, though. He has more patience than all of us combined. He’s just so patient with us, it’d be nice to return the favor and be just as patient with him.

On that note, let’s talk about patience with God then.

Patience with God

7Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes. 8Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret – it leads only to evil. 9For evil men will be cut off, but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land.” – Psalm 37: 7-9 NIV

            I think this verse hits on what’s most difficult for many of us and that’s being patient with God.

            Sometimes it seems like we always have to be so patient with God to get what we want, when everyone else is getting what he or she wants without having to wait or even deserving it.

            Here’s an example. I could be studying extremely hard for a class and I’ll keep waiting to finally get an A, but someone else might just cheat and get the A way before I do. It can be really difficult to be patient in this case. So, what do I do?

This verse says not to worry, though, because in the end, those who are patient with God are the ones who get what they’ve been waiting for, and those who have been impatient get burned.

Here’s another example. I could be promised a cookie after dinner. If I wait, then I get a delicious cookie. If I try to sneak it before and get caught, though, then there’s no delicious cookie for me. Now, I don’t know about you, but I want my delicious cookie, so I’d be patient.

All right, we’ve talked about the patience of God and patience with God. Let’s move on to the final point, patient with others.

Patience with Others

14And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone.” – 1 Thessalonians 5:14 NIV

            Reread those last four words. Be patient with everyone.

            Everyone. Not just with your friends, not just with your parents, not just with your teachers, but with everyone.

            This can be really hard to do, especially when someone isn’t being so patient with you.

            Traffic is the perfect example. This is the time when we most get impatient with others. People are late to work, school, etc. There are beeping horns and people rushing. Everyone is just impatient with everyone around them.

            God expects us to be patient, though, even then. As patient as He is with us, as patient as we might be able to be with Him, we’re still expected to be patient with others too. And when it’s really difficult to be patient with a specific person, situation, or even with God, it’s important to pray for that patience.

Conclusion

            To wrap up, I just want to repeat the three types of patience I’ve been talking about tonight: patience of God, patience with God, and patience with others.

God has endless patience with us and it’s important that we remember that. We also need to remember that as patient as God is with us, we need to be just as patient with Him because He will always deliver. And finally, God expects us to be patient with others, not just Him. It’s important to remember that next time someone is annoying us in particular.

            Think of God’s patience and be patient. I’ve found that life will always be better that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment