Pages

Sunday, April 5, 2015

An Easter Post: Tears of Joy


            I’m the kind of person who cries easily. Seriously, I mean show me a picture of a sad puppy and I tear up. So it’s no surprise how much I cried when I watched the Son of God movie today to celebrate Easter.

As I watched Jesus endure forty agonizing lashes on his back; watched Jesus get pierced through his hands and feet with rusty nails; watched Jesus drip blood and tears; watched Jesus die on the cross; and watched Mary carry Jesus’ lifeless body in her arms just like she carried him when he was a baby; I cried desperately, my nose dripping snot and my eyes turning red.

            It was not a pretty sight.

            My mom walked into the living room and found her daughter in a puddle of snot and tears. I wasn’t embarrassed since, being a pastor, she was sure to understand my sorrow. However, she reminded me about something that took me a little off guard.

            “You know He rose three days later, right?”

            Duh, of course I knew that. I don’t know what my mom expected. I wasn’t going to stop crying just because I knew there was a happy ending. It was still so horrible to see how Jesus was crucified. Still, it did make me feel better as I waited in anticipation for the movie to get to the part where Jesus returns. I wiped my tears away and smiled when my anticipation was rewarded.

            It’s wonderful to know that Jesus rose. I don’t know if any other religion believes in someone dying and coming back to life, but it’s amazing that Christianity has that. It’s even more wonderful, though, to know that Jesus will come back again. How amazing will it be when He does? I can’t even imagine it.

            I do know this, though. I would more than likely cry for that too.

Only that time, I would cry tears of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment