Pages

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Scaredy-Christian


            If I were a dog, I think I would be Scooby-Doo. I know, I know. Who watches Scooby-Doo anymore? Well, that doesn’t matter. The point is that I identify with him. Why? Because we are both scaredy-cats (how ironic).

            I always like to believe that I’m brave, courageous, willing to take anything on. I don’t want a knight in shining armor. I want to have my own shield and sword to protect myself.

            Lately, though, I’ve realized that I’ve been deluding myself. I get scared really easily, actually. For example, I went to see a scary movie with some friends. Afterwards, I was so scared that I accidentally hit my friend. (In my defense, she shouldn’t have sneaked up behind me!)

            Okay, I’m going to be serious now. I’ve been really afraid of the future as of late. Now that I’m getting older, I’m feeling overwhelmed by everything I have to do. There are so many fears and questions in my mind that I’m not ready to face.

Am I ready for graduation? Am I 100% positive I want to continue my education? What if I’m choosing to study the wrong thing? Am I ready to be a real “adult?”

Sometimes, as these questions swell up in my brain, I want to cry. I wish I wasn’t Scooby-doo. I wish I could charge full speed ahead on my sturdy steed and battle the menacing dragon. Instead, I just feel like a coward.

As a Christian, I know I should have more faith in God. That was my New Year’s resolution, after all. He knows the answers to all of my self-doubting questions. I know He has faith in me.

I guess I won’t know unless I just take a step forward and try, with God by my side, of course. He needs to lead me by the leash. He needs to be my sturdy steed. That’s the only way I can get past these irrational (and annoying) fears.

Let’s see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment